Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 221 of 270 FirstFirst ... 121171211215216217218219220221222223224225226227231 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 2695

Thread: daily cricket news

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Re: daily cricket news

South Africa name unchanged squad for India Tests

South Africa has retained the same 15-man squad that saved the series with Pakistan in October for their two home Tests against India later this month. The squad will again be led by captain Graeme Smith, with the backup wicketkeeper position going to Thami Tsolekile ahead of the 20-year-old Quinton de Kock, who hit consecutive centuries against India in the ongoing one-day international series. South Africa lost the first Test against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi but came back strongly to win the second match by an innings and 92 runs to square the series 1-1 in Dubai in October. “We were very happy with the performance of the Proteas in the second Test match at Dubai and we see no need to change something that is operating well,” selection convener Andrew Hudson said in a statement on Monday. The first Test against India will be played at The Wanderers in Johannesburg from Dec. 18-22 and the second at Kingsmead in Durban from Dec. 26-30.

Squad:

Graeme Smith (captain), AB de Villiers (vice-captain), Hashim Amla, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Rory Kleinveldt, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Dale Steyn, Thami Tsolekile.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Waqar, Gilchrist inducted into ICC’s Hall of Fame

Pakistan’s pace bowling great Waqar Younis and former Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist on Monday were inducted into cricket’s Hall of Fame, the International Cricket Council said in a statement. Waqar joins Hanif Mohammad and former teammates Imran Khan, Javed Miandad and Wasim Akram in the exclusive club. Gilchrist will be the 19th Australian male inductee.

The ICC will honour Waqar during the Twenty20 international between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in Dubai on Wednesday (tomorrow), while Gilchrist will be feted during the third Ashes Test in Perth on Friday. Waqar claimed 373 wickets in 87 Tests and 416 wickets in 262 one-day internationals before retiring after the 2003 World Cup. He now works as a television commentator. “It’s a huge honour for me,” said the 42-year-old Waqar. “I’m truly grateful to the people who’ve considered me worthy of such an honour.”

Gilchrist, also a prolific batsman, was a three-time World Cup winner in 1999, 2003 and 2007. He played 96 Tests during a 12-year career that ended in 2008, making 5,570 runs and claiming 416 dismissals behind the stumps. In 287 one-day internationals, he scored 9,619 runs and dismissed 472 batsmen. “I am delighted to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and to be doing it in front of my home crowd on the first day of the third Test will be a very special occasion for me and my family,” Gilchrist, 42, said in the same statement. “The induction of Waqar and Gilchrist takes the tally of male cricketers in the Hall of Fame to 71, while two more players will be added by the end of the month,” the ICC said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

when 3rd ashes test starts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

England trail Australia by 369 runs after day three
    Australian opener Chris Rogers said Sunday England’s faint Ashes hopes were set to disappear down widening cracks at the WACA Ground after the home team took a stranglehold on the third Perth Test. England were left bruised and all but beaten after what Rogers described as Australia’s best day of the series, and potentially their most important as they close in on claiming the Ashes for the first time since 2007. Australia led by 134 runs on the first innings after the England tail folded meekly again before lunch on the third day and the tourists were dismissed for 251. The Australians were 235 for three in their second innings at the end of play for an overall lead of 369, with Shane Watson on 29 and Steve Smith on five and two days left to play.

“I don’t think we could be in a better position,” Rogers said. “To finish day three 370 in front, that’s position A. “Today was an amazing day, probably as good a day as we’ve had in the Ashes so far.” Rogers, who was hit on the body by a ball from Ben Stokes that jagged back off one of the cracks that have opened up in the extreme heat, said it would make the pitch tougher to bat on over the final two days. “All in all it’s a good surface, but these cracks are going to come more into play,” he said. “If these cracks keep widening, then it’s going to be very hard to bat on, and a little bit scary.”

Rogers’ fellow opener David Warner (112) capitalised on the shoddy wicketkeeping of Matt Prior, who missed two stumping opportunities from the left-hander, to post his second century of the series and take his tally for the series to 457 runs at 91.40. Australia lead the five-Test series 2-0 after comprehensive victories in Brisbane and Adelaide and can regain the Ashes with victory in Perth. As if England’s predicament wasn’t already dire enough, the tourists returned to the field for the Australian second innings without their best fast bowler Stuart Broad, who is awaiting the result of scans to determine the extent of a foot injury.

Broad injured his right foot when struck by a swinging yorker by Johnson, who may have delivered the final blow to England’s hope of hanging on to the Ashes. Broad was trapped lbw by the delivery for five, and limped to a fitness test in the nets between innings before being taken from the ground for scans. Broad was on crutches at the post-match press conference and said he would not be able to bowl again in the match, but would bat if required. He said he was unsure of the extent of the injury, and was still hopeful of playing in the remaining two Tests. “Something showed up on the X-ray, but it was a bit inconclusive, so I had to have an MRI,” he said.

“We are just waiting on those results.” Broad conceded it was a disastrous day for the tourists. “It was a bad one, there is no hiding from that,” he said. To add insult to injury, the embattled Prior – who again failed with the bat earlier in the day – gifted Warner a life when he missed the easiest of stumpings in spinner Graeme Swann’s first over of the innings. Warner was on just 13 and was beaten in flight by Swann but Prior failed to take the ball. Prior’s afternoon went from bad to worse when he then failed to react to a thin edge from Rogers, on 26, from the bowling of Jimmy Anderson.

Prior missed a second opportunity to stump Warner off Swann when the Australian was on 89. Warner’s 140-ball knock finally came to an end when he holed out to Stokes at deep mid-on from the bowling of Swann, having hit 17 fours and two sixes. He and Rogers put on 157, the first century opening partnership of the series, before Rogers fell to Tim Bresnan for 54. Earlier in the day, England resumed on 180 for four, but offered little resistance to the Australian pace trio of Ryan Harris (3-48), Johnson (2-62) and Peter Siddle (3-36). The last six English wickets fell for just 61 runs, the rot starting when overnight batsman Ian Bell was given out lbw to Harris on a third umpire review for 15, after he was initially given the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Sehwag strikes first 50 this Ranji season
    Virender Sehwag struck his first 50 of the season and Mithun Manhas a fine century to help Delhi amass a 360-run lead against Vidarbha on day two of the Group A Ranji Trophy match at the Roshanara Ground here Sunday.

Sehwag, batting in the middle order, took 72 balls for his 56 before Rahul Yadav (81) and Ashish Nehra (57) took Delhi to 448 for nine in 138.5 overs. Vidarbha were up against tough luck after folding up for 88 in controversial circumstances on the opening day when the game was stopped for 28 minutes after complaints of a sub-standard surface.

Sehwag, who has struggled to get going so far in the season, would welcome some runs from his bat.

Nehra too impressed with the bat after his six-wicket haul Saturday.

In Hubli, Manish Pandey (161) and opener Lokesh Rahul (92) put Karnataka in command as the hosts ended the second day on 367 for seven in reply to Punjab's first innings tally of 174.

Pandey and Rahul added 149 runs for the third wicket to ensure first innings lead for Karnataka, who were 59 for two overnight. With a lead of 193 runs, the hosts are well poised to force victory over the next two days

After Rahul's departure, Pandey held the innings together and was involved in crucial partnerships with the latter order batsmen as Karnataka took command.
    Pandey added 52 runs for the fifth wicket with Stuart Binny (19), 68 for the sixth with Karun Nair (21) and a further 35 for the seventh with skipper Vinay Kumar (29 not out) before being dismissed.
    Punjab toiled through the day for little rewards as seamer Manpreet Singh Dhony added one more wicket to the two he had taken Friday while off-spinner Gurkeerat Singh Mann came away with two.
    Brief scores:
    Group A
    Odisha 79 for 3 v Mumbai 501 for 9 dec (Jaffer 143, Hiken 170).

Karnataka 367 for 7 (Rahul 92, Pandey 161) v Punjab 174 (Vohra 69).

Gujarat 27 for 1 v Haryana 573 for 6 dec (Sunny 201, Rana 102, Saini 106).

Delhi 448 for 9 (Gambhir 49, Sehwag 56, Manhas 100, Nehra 57) v Vidarbha 88 (Nehra 6-16).

Group B

Saurashtra 49 for 0 v Madhya Pradesh 619 for 8 dec (Saxena 194, Ojha 154, Mishra 113 not out).

Uttar Pradesh 212 and 50 for 3 v Bengal 284 (Shukla 117, RP 5-77).

Railways 152 for 8 v Tamil Nadu 246 (Aparajith 29, Prasanna 117).

Services 191 (Munaf 4-38) and 2 for 1 v Baroda 369 (Mistry 118, Irfan 22).

Group C, at stumps

Goa 9 for 0 v Hyderabad 514 for 6 dec (Vihari 201 not out).

Kerala 151 (Samson 18) and 23 for 0 v Maharashtra 314 (Khadiwale 97).

Himachal 24 for 3 v Andhra 417 (Prashant 199, Dhawan 5-115).

Jammu and Kashmir 294 for 5 (I.R. Singh 94 not out) Assam 263 (Sharma 108).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Pakistan to take on India in cracking U19 World Cup opener

Two-time former champions Pakistan will open their ICC U19 World Cup title campaign against title-holders and traditional rival India at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium (DICS), Dubai Sports City, on 15 February 2014.

The tournament will be staged across seven venues in the UAE from 14 February to 1 March, and will also be participated in by Afghanistan, Canada, Namibia, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Scotland and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) besides the 10 Full Members.

India, which also won the tournament under Mohammad Kaif and Virat Kohli in 2000 and 2008, respectively, defeated Pakistan by one-wicket in an enthralling semi-final before going on to beat Australia by six wickets in the 2012 final in Townsville, Australia.

In the 2010 event in New Zealand, Pakistan beat India in a last-ball thriller in the quarter-final in Lincoln. The two sides also met in the final of the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2006 in Colombo where Pakistan defended a modest total of 110 to win by 39 runs.

In the 16-day tournament, 48 matches will be played across seven venues, which are: Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi; Abu Dhabi Oval 1; Abu Dhabi Oval 2; Sharjah Cricket Stadium; Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai Sports City; ICC Academy Oval 1, Dubai, and ICC Academy Oval 2, Dubai.

On the opening day of the tournament on 14 February, four matches will be played, with 1998 winner England taking on the UAE at Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi; Zimbabwe locking horns with Canada at Abu Dhabi Oval 1; New Zealand meeting Sri Lanka at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, and South Africa taking on the West Indies at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium.

The format of the competition is such that the 16 teams have been divided into four groups, with the top two teams progressing to the Super League quarter-finals, while the two bottom teams from each group qualify for the Plate Championship quarter-finals.

The four groups are:

Group A Group B Group C Group D India Australia South Africa New Zealand Pakistan Bangladesh West Indies England Scotland Afghanistan Zimbabwe Sri Lanka PNG Namibia Canada UAE

ICC General Manager Geoff Allardice, while announcing the groups and fixtures in Dubai, said: “The ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is a hugely important event for international teams and for the ICC, as it showcases the future stars of international cricket.

“The tournament has produced more than 40 Full Member players that have gone on to captain their side in international cricket in different formats - Brian Lara, Graeme Smith and Inzamam-ul-Haq, to name a few. The ICC U19 CWC gives the world’s best young cricketers a chance to test their skills in a truly global event.

“Teams will need to be at their best every day if they want to win the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup. We expect to see some spectacular cricket.”

Sri Lanka’s ODI captain Angelo Mathews played in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cups 2006 and 2008, and, reflecting on his time at these events said: “Having played in a couple of ICC U19 Cricket World Cups, I can tell you that this is the best stage for any raw talent to polish his skills and see if he’s worthy enough of progressing to the biggest stage of them all – international cricket at the senior level.

“The lessons that I learned in Bangladesh in 2004 and in Sri Lanka in 2006 have, in hindsight, been truly invaluable.

“I didn’t get to bat too much in Bangladesh in 2004, but did enjoy some success with the ball, especially against Zimbabwe in a group match, and that gave me the confidence to pursue greater heights, and told me I belonged in international cricket.

“A couple of years later, my all-round performance in four matches instilled the belief in me that I was ready for the big league. I boasted my team’s second highest average with the bat, 51, in the 2006 edition. And with the ball, I topped the averages at 17.66 and had an economy rate of 3.24. It was the confidence of that success that I carried through to the big league, and which went a long way in my journey towards donning national colours and eventually leading the senior side.”

Anwar Ali, who took five for 35 when Pakistan skittled India out for 71 in the 2006 final in Colombo, said: “Succeeding in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup gives upcoming players a tremendous boost, and raises their profile and standing.

“For us from Pakistan, doing well there, and especially against India, assures you of a place under the spotlight and in the radar of the selectors.

“I fondly remember my performance against India in the 2006 ICC U19 Cricket World Cup final in Colombo. Taking five for 35 there and playing a major role in landing my country the biggest U19 title there is in the world did a world of good to my confidence, and set me on my way to representing my country in the senior ranks.

“I dismissed a number of batsmen that currently play with distinction for India – the likes of Cheteshwar Pujara, Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja. I can almost relive all their dismissals as though they were happening right before my eyes now. My Man of the Match performance in the final is one of the highlights of my brief career.

“My message to all players who’ll take part in this tournament is to play hard, play fair and relish the experience – it is a truly memorable one, and will stay with you for as long as you live.”

The UAE tournament will be the 10th edition of the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup since its inception in 1988. Australia won the tournament in 1988, 2002 and 2010, England was the champion in 1998, India held aloft the trophy in 2000, 2008 and 2012 and Pakistan was the winner in 2004 and 2006. -ICC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The Ashes: Australia beat England in third test to reclaim Ashes
    Australia reclaimed the Ashes by dismissing England's last five batsmen after lunch on Tuesday for a 150-run victory in the third test to take an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.

Just three months after England wrapped up a third successive Ashes series triumph by a similarly dominant 3-0 margin back home, Australia wrested back the tiny urn they last held in August 2009.

Ben Stokes made the Australians sweat through the first session on the fifth and final day of the match with his maiden test hundred - England's first of the series - as the tourists chased their improbable victory target of 504.

Once the 22-year-old lefthander was dismissed for 120 in the third over after lunch to reduce the tourists to 336 for seven, though, Australia quickly ran through the England tail.
    Mitchell Johnson, whose fiery spells of pace bowling had turned the first two tests, finished with four for 78 after dismissing James Anderson to end England's innings for 353, sparking wild celebrations from his team mates.

Lefthander Stokes, who made his debut in the second test in Adelaide, showed great concentration and no little courage to help England to their biggest innings score of the series.

England had resumed on 251 for five requiring another 253 runs for an extraordinary victory or more likely needing to bat through the final day to save the test.

The yawning cracks that had opened up on the sunbaked wicket added an extra danger factor for the batsmen, with one Ryan Harris delivery to Stokes jagging off into the slips.

It was Johnson who made the breakthrough when Matt Prior took a swipe at widish delivery and got a nick on it to be caught behind for 26.

Two overs later and Stokes, who had edged his way nervously through the 90s, pulled Johnson to the long-leg for four to reach his hundred, pumping his fist in celebration of an impressive knock.

England made it through to lunch at 332-6 but their task always looked too tough and when Stokes was caught behind off spinner Nathan Lyon the end was in sight.

Australia won the first test in Brisbane by 381 runs and the second in Adelaide by 218 runs and will now be targeting a 5-0 sweep in the final two tests in Melbourne and Sydney.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

ICC suspends Shillingford for illegal bowling action

Off-spinner Shane Shillingford of the West Indies was on Monday suspended by the ICC for having an illegal bowling action, while Marlon Samuels’ quicker deliveries were also ruled illegitimate.

“An independent biomechanical analysis has found the bowling action of West Indies’ off-spinner Shane Shillingford to be illegal and, as such, the player has been suspended from bowling in international cricket,” the ICC said in a statement.

The analysis revealed that for both his standard off-break delivery and his doosra, the amount of elbow extension in his bowling action exceeded the 15 degrees’ level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Regulations.

“He is suspended from bowling in international cricket until such time that he has submitted to a fresh analysis, which concludes that he has remedied his bowling action.”

Meanwhile, the independent biomechanical analysis of the Samuels’ bowling action concluded that his standard off-break delivery was legal but his quicker deliveries exceeded the 15 degrees’ level of tolerance and thus, were considered to be “illegal.”
    While he is allowed to continue his standard off-break delivery in international cricket, he has been barred from bowling his quicker deliveries.

“Should Samuels be reported again for a suspected illegal bowling action within the next two years, such a report will be deemed to be a second report for the purposes of the ICC Regulations,” the ICC stated.

“If the independent biomechanical analysis following the second report concludes that Samuels has an illegal action, whether it is for his quicker deliveries or any other type of delivery, he will be automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for a minimum period of 12 months.”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The Ashes: George Bailey equals Brian Lara's Test record
    Australian batsman George Bailey equalled Brian Lara's Test record for most runs off an over against England in Perth on Monday.

West Indian great Lara hit 28 runs off an over from South Africa's Robin Peterson in Johannesburg in 2003.

Bailey matched the feat when he took the same tally off paceman Jimmy Anderson in the final over of Australia's second innings on the fourth day of the third Test.

The Tasmanian, in only his third Test, hit three sixes and two fours in the over.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Australia win for 4-0 lead, now for series sweep

Australia cruised to an eight-wicket win over demoralised England with more than a day to spare Sunday to claim a 4-0 series lead and stand on the cusp of an Ashes whitewash. Led by a century from opener Chris Rogers and a 136-run stand with Shane Watson, the Australians had few problems getting the required 201 runs before tea on the fourth day to seal England’s fate at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. England contributed to their own demise with two confidence-sapping dropped catches by skipper Alastair Cook early in the day to take all the steam out of the dispirited tourists.
    The two fielding blunders from the team leader were psychological body blows for England and evidence of batsman Kevin Pietersen’s comments on Saturday in a television interview that the tourists were “mentally fragile”. England now face the monumental challenge of fighting off an Australian clean sweep of the series in the fifth and final Test, starting in Sydney on Friday. “I think it’s a very special win. A lot of people thought we would come here complacent and not have the same willpower to continue to play the same way as in the first three Tests,” Australian captain Michael Clarke said. “For the first time in this series we found ourselves behind in the game and over the last couple of days we’ve been able to turn that around and win convincingly today, so I think the boys deserve a lot of credit.”
    Playing on his home ground, veteran left-hander Rogers claimed his second Test century after scoring 110 against England in the last series earlier this year at Durham. Rogers, 36, was out caught behind for 116 off 155 balls cutting Monty Panesar, with his team some 31 runs short of victory. Rogers ran Mitchell Johnson close for man-of-the-match honours. At the end, Watson was unbeaten on 83 with skipper Michael Clarke not out six with Australia 231 for two.
    It was the best fourth innings run chase in 51 years at the Melbourne Cricket Ground since England’s 237 for three in 1962-63. While England have been on the end of heavy defeats this Test series, Sunday was a particularly dispiriting loss for England, who were well on top and led the home side by 116 with 10 wickets in hand after lunch on Saturday’s third day. Man-of-the-match Mitchell Johnson and spinner Nathan Lyon staged a dramatic turnaround, with England bowled out for 179, leaving Australia with what became a comfortable task of scoring 231 in more than two days for victory. It was Australia’s fourth consecutive win over England and comes four months after they lost the last series 3-0 in England.
    “The bottom line is we haven’t been good enough,” Cook said. “The part of this game that makes it even more frustrating is that we got ourselves into a good place to put some pressure on Australia: 100 ahead and no wickets down in the second innings. “I suppose that might be where we are as a side. We created three chances in that first half-an-hour and we didn’t take them.” English heads dropped when Cook got his right hand to a snick from Rogers on 19 through slips after wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow failed to respond, and then grassed a straightforward two-handed chance from David Warner (22) off Stuart Broad. Warner scored only three more runs before he was caught behind off Ben Stokes and Australia’s first wicket came down at 64.
    Symbolic of England’s malaise, Cook did not bring on his specialist spinner Monty Panesar until 90 minutes into the fourth day and he had little effect on stemming the Australian run flow until he finally removed Rogers. There will be selection questions ahead of the final Ashes Test for an England team in decline with the most pressure on Panesar, Bairstow, whose technique behind the stumps was exposed, and seamer Tim Bresnan.